Monday, April 28, 2014

Bravery Comes from Within

            Kurt Vonnegut’s short story, “Harrison Bergeron”, has shown me that individuality and one’s uniqueness comes from within and can’t be hidden or suppressed by anyone or anything forever. I have learned that nothing can hold you back except your self-doubt and self-insecurities. Harrison Bergeron’s story “tells of the ironic shortcomings of a seemingly perfect man who dies in the hands of his suppressive American government” (“The Ironic End” Blog Post). Harrison Bergeron is born into a world where his uniqueness and greatness are looked down upon and punished. Equipped with the knowledge that I have gained from reading this short story, I can improve my life and show the world whom I really am.
From reflecting upon the hardships in Harisson Bergeron’s life, I have come to believe that I can apply his bravery and sense of pride to improve my life; and I have. My true self has shown at school as much as it does at home because I want nothing to interfere with my individuality, and I want to show the world all that I have to offer. I allow no one to block or cover up my inner beauty, and I glow with a shine only I can achieve anywhere I go. After reading this short story, I have come to understand that bravery is not just saving another’s life or risking your life for another’s, but bravery can come from you doing what you believe is right and trying to express yourself no matter how others perceive you or try and push you down.

Harrison Bergeron has not only tried to show his inner beauty and uniqueness but has also to help others express themselves and ignore the suppressive government. “In Harrison Bergeron’s world, equality is treated as the focus of civilization, and through suppression and handicaps, people are forced to be average and equal” (“The Ironic End” Blog Post). People are being forced into the doldrums and into living as equals with no individual qualities that separates them to another. Harrison Bergeron grows stronger and stronger during his life both physically and emotionally. In the end, Harrison Bergeron is shot and murdered on live television for the world to see because he spoke out against the government, tore off his handicaps, and showed the world (only for a second) the true him. He showed the world the qualities that make him Harrison Bergeron. The worst part of all is the fact that Harrison Bergeron’s parents were too afraid to tear off their handicaps like their son, and when Harrison Bergeron’s mother sees his death on t.v., her husband asks, “‘You been crying?’ he said to Hazel. / ‘Yup,’ she said, / ‘What about?’ he said. / ‘I forget,’ she said” (Vonnegut 6).

No comments:

Post a Comment